Friday, April 19, 2013

DOT+16 We have Engraftment !

DOT +16       Medical Content

"The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated" 

                                                                                                 - Mark Twain

Sorry about no posts in the last 12 days, but I have not trusted myself at the keyboard due to the number and nature of my meds, and the attendant lack of lucidity.

Big doing's though,

Anne has been in the hospital too.

Stories of weird dreams and more after the jump, and at last some medical content -   to wit, a chart showing my rising blood counts!





Today, Friday, April 19th, 2013, I am back in Outpatient Mode at the Clinic, after a week in the Duke Bone Marrow Transplant Center.


Here are my numbers for the last week:
First time in two years whites.platelets and Hemoglobin have risen without  chemical stimulation!


Anne is on the mend too, after her visit to Durham Regional Hospital while I was at Duke Med Center.
Her "Tummy Ache" turned out to be abscessed diverticulae, requiring surgical installation of a drain.

Fortunately Jan Hessleman RN was able to attend to Anne during her hospital stay, and Bob Thomas RN came up for a few days to keep an eye on me.  Huge thanks to both of them.  Anne got out a few days before I did, and her sister Carol Rowland is here with us until Sunday. At that point we will be back on track and self sufficient. It will be a great relief to have just the two of us here, not that we have not enjoyed the help, but we don't need it anymore.

The way the hospital stays played out was most providential.  She had a CT Scan Thursday afternoon, when Cousin Carrie was still here as asst. caregiver.  They picked me up at the Clinic and Carrie left for home in Greensboro..  Around 4 p.m. Anne's Doctor called and told her she needed to go right to the hospital, he had a surgeon lined up.

So I called the Clinic and told them I needed to go Inpatient at The "Big House", at least for a night, until we could get a caregiver/driver lined up.  They paved the way, Anne dropped me off, and drove herself to Durham Regional. Well as it turns out, I would have needed to be admitted that night anyway, for my temp rose to 100.5, and I presented with a lung infection.

Anne was released on Monday after 5 days  and I got out last night after 7 days. The routine at the hospital is most impressive.  Blood Draws at midnight, Lab results back by 2 am, and if needed, transfusions are immediate. I got blood and platelets almost every day, along with magnesium, antibiotics, and saline, and more!  Just look at this  IV pole with multiple piggybacks all going through 4 pumps into just three lumens on my Hickman Catheter! ( really only two, because one lumen is dedicated to the immunosuppressant  Tacrolimus , the stuff I have in fanny pack pump rig 24/7 when not on IV)

A Plumbing Marvel

So with all those chemicals being pumped into my Vena Cava at once, there are bound to be some side effects.  One that is documented is hallucinations. I did not experience any, but had some amazing vivid dreams, usually after getting my pre-meds for blood product transfusions around 3 am.


  In one, I was present in Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris Movie.  I was visiting at Gertrude Stein's
house in Paris, discussing Long Island geography with Scott Fitzgerald when Gertrude asked me a question.
I turned to answer her and opened my eyes and poof! dream over, alone in the room. Try as I might I could not get back to it.




18 comments:

  1. Wow..what a week...glad you are both on the mend. Pretty impressive pole there bud...did you tell them how to hook it all up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to hear from you, Chris! And, so happy you both are doing better, and with such expert and loving support....xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excuse me? All that, and no hallucinations?
    Dude, you wuz robbed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such literary dreams, my friend! So glad you and Annie are on the mend, and what a grand sight to see your blood counts rise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very glad to see positive results! Also glad Annie's on the mend too. You need to hang a bag of Chicken Soup from that rig. I'll send my Bubbie's recipe! Sorry you missed the halucinations. You know how I love those flash backs!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy to hear all the good news! You two keep up the good healing work. Looking forward to the day when Annie and I are out dancing in front of you performing again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to see you and Annie are both breaking through to the other side. Sorry about the hallucinations, but the literary dream was pretty wild! The rig is amazing--like Lost in Space. I'm with Jill--can't wait to hear you play some more music and dance soon and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hugh Blackwell20 April, 2013 12:37

    Hey there Chris. So good to hear from you. That IV pole impresses me more than the signposts on the AlCAN Hwy in Whitehorse I remember as a teenager in '55!! (That was a trip w/o chemicals, though) Maybe you can 'get back to Paris' again...mine are B&W dull. You really impressed this cat with your blood stats...keep it up, you hear. Very very pleased Durham RH took good care of Anne. NC has the best care.
    Our love always.

    Hugh & Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. What do you mean you weren't hallucinating? Bob's been in Morehead City the whole time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. whew! glad for the good news. give my best to annie. as she is my equal in our particular equation i have been wondering how she is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My lord hinny--you've had a Tyne--beyond being mimicked! So glad you and Annie are on the mend--we've been worried about you. You blood numbers are impressive--keep on mending!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy guacamole, kids! Please know that we are all sending healing vibes and lots of love to both of you....just keep getting better, ok? Thanks for any and all updates...even if they're of the halicunitory type! <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooops...how do you spell halucinitory?

    ReplyDelete
  14. phew! great news... we've been thinking of you and wondering... I'm looking at just one more chemo and can't wait for it to be over. phew!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice work y'all. Very glad for both your outcomes.

    Mike & Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great to hear you and anne are OK and doing well hope you got my email we love you guys and are praying and giving thanks!

    Conger&Debbe

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh hello Chirs,

    Its taken me all this time to figure out how post a comment to you! Shows how technilogically illierate I still am. Haha.

    I give thanks that both you and Annie are feeling stronger. Appreciate you sharing your dream. Some experiences can seem way out there but in the eyes of our heart they are very real.

    Keep breathing.

    peace, love and compassion,
    nanb and tk

    ReplyDelete