Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Graft Versus Host Disease (GVHD)


GVHD is the medical shorthand for Graft Versus Host Disease. 

Today a quick, non-geeky look at the phenomenon of GVHD, and how it differs from Transplanted Organ Rejection as seen in the previous cartoons noir post.(click here )


     For those of you just joining us, the procedure I have undergone here at Duke Med is technically an Allogenic Myleoablative Stem Cell Transplant or Bone Marrow Transplant. 

Allogenic: Taken from a donor (as opposed to autogenic, where they take your own cells out, hit you with some chemo, then put your own cells back in, or the syngeneic using stem cells donated by an identical twin)

MyleoablativeHigh-dose chemotherapy designed to completely wipe out the diseased blood-forming cells in the bone marrow. This chemo can cause side effects, often severe.

SCT: Stem Cell Transplant 

BMT: Bone Marrow Transplant, often used interchangeably with SCT 

As part of this I volunteered to participate in a clinical trial, A Randomized, Multi-Center, Phase III Study of Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation Comparing Regimen Intensity in Patients with Myelodysplastic Syndrome or Acute Myeloid Leukemia.  The regimen intensity refers to the pre-transplant chemo. I was randomized into the High Dose group, read about it in this post from March 27th. .


Let's Jump right in for it is pretty fascinating...


The fundamental difference between a conventional transplant & a Stem Cell Transplant:

    In a conventional organ transplant your body's immune system which is designed to protect against anything that is foreign, alien, or "not of you" will try to reject the donor's organ.

    In a stem cell transplant you, the host, get a new immune system grafted into your bones. This new immune system "sees" your whole body as being foreign, alien, "not of us" and wants to reject it.


Here is a recap in pictures, for you visual learners:

Lets use a Heart Transplant as an example again.

Your new heart faces



and attack from your immune system's

Warrior White Cells

that are on Patrol 24/7,


fighting against the swarms of  invading pathogens, germs, viruses, and orcs,


and are looking for any alien matter that does not carry their unique genetic papers.





And of course your newly transplanted heart cells don't have the right genetic papers, because you are you, the host, and your new heart is of your donor. So your immune system's attitude about the donor's heart is to get rid of it, send it back.



How a Stem Cell Transplant is Different:

      My immune system was totally wiped out by the pre-transplant chemotherapy, which was designed and administered to kill the rogue, mutated marrow cells which were spawning my MDS,  and all my white storm troopers were collateral damage.  Even though my donor/sister Laurie's stem cells were a so called "perfect match", there are still many, many types of my cells that are not 100% compatible, and none of her white cells were briefed on their mission - to  protect their new host, me.  
Fighting forces: American parachutists land between Nice and Marseille, in southern France, in August 1944
      All my sister/donor Laurie's warrior cells know is that they woke up one morning to find themselves dropped  behind the lines, into enemy territory.They don't recognize any of their surroundings and their rules of engagement are "shoot first, ask questions later". And none of my cells know the password.

     These new T-Cell Troopers are bivouacked in my marrow bones, and must have their innate rules of engagement modified and re-programmed or they will digest every host cell they encounter - hence the name Graft v.s. Host disease  An uneasy detente or truce is mediated by a delicate balance of immunosuppresive drugs. And for prophylaxis, since  the new white cells can't be trusted to fight infections, I have had to take many drugs. 


Anti fungals, antibiotics,and  antiviruals. Mouthwashes and gastric acid blockers, analgesics, lotions and unguents, Steroids, cortisoids, and the dreaded prednisone. I have been slowly tapering off these drugs.



      You don't want to totally suppress the new T Cells, just rein them in. They must be allowed to function against real threats and pathogens, and start building a new acquired immune system, that library of  how to destroy anything that is not "of you".  But too low a dosage of immunosuppressives, and you start digesting yourself.

     I am not just vulnerable to self digestion, but to any little (or big) germ, bug, or virus that I may encounter; hence the hand washing, gowns, masks and gloves, and other precautions in the hospital. This is a regimen to which I must adhere until such time as full engraftment  has taken place and I can begin to rebuild that library that is the acquired immune system.  Then I can get reinoculated for all the childhood diseases.*  

When was my last tetanus shot? 
Ummm, Never! 

And no, I can't get one just now.  It may well be a year or so before that happens.

Got the picture? I have to be real careful around edge tools and sawdust, no gardening, no crowds.

      When I get to go home, it is not because I am all better, it is because we will have my meds balanced to control my GVHD.  I will still need to monitor this balance with weekly or biweekly blood labs and tinker with the drug dosages. And there will be trips to Duke Med in the future for tests and evaluations, and for the reunion banquets that are held each year for the survivors.


 I will still be in self imposed quarantine for a while, so no hugs or handshakes yet.



All this is designated Acute GVHD , the initial post transplant reactions. 

There is also Chronic GVHD  which can show up anytime from now on and take the form of skin rashes, gut bleeding, renal and liver problems, loss of eyesight, and some other rarer conditions that can show up in some hosts. I hope Chronic GVHD will not be the subject of a future post, as this drama plays out for me.


 * List of vaccine-preventable child diseases:
I need to watch out for these plus all the other kid diseases like pink eye, scarlet fever, etc. until I can get reinoculated in a year or so.

Diphtheria
Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib)
Hepatitis A
Hepatitis B
Influenza
Measles
Meningococcal
Mumps
Pertussis (whooping cough)
Pneumococcal disease
Polio
Rotavirus (severe diarrhea)
Rubella (German measles)
Tetanus (lockjaw)
Varicella (chickenpox)


OK, enough of that, lighter posts to come as we approach our going home day.


Chris

10 comments:

  1. Hey....I saw a bubble for sale just down the street...shall I inquire?? When is Beaufort reentry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be a science writer, Uncle Chris. This was an excellent explanation of a heavy subject; Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Chris, your putting off that trip to India, right? Aloha, David M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most prostate cancers are adenocarcinomas, cancers that arise in glandular cells of the prostate’s epithelial tissue. Prostate cancers usually progress slowly and produce no symptoms in the initial stages. Eventually, the tumor may enlarge like mine use too, the prostate gland, pressing on the urethra and causing painful or frequent urination and blood in the urine. So I was so uncomfortable with this prostate cancer diseases then I decided to do online search on how to cure cancer because I well have read a lot about herbal medicine, I came across a lot of testimony how Dr Itua cure HIV/herpes then Cancer was listed below the comment.with courage I contacted Dr Itua and he sent me his herbal medicine through Courier service then I was asked to pick it up at my post office which i quickly did. I contacted Dr Itua that i have received my herbal medicine so he instructs me on how to drink it for three weeks and that is how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine cure my prostate Cancer, The treatment takes three weeks and I was cured completely. Dr Itua is a god sent and I thank him every day of my life. Contact him now On:Email:drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/   Whatsapp:+2348149277967.
    He listed to that he can as well cure the following diseases below.... Cerebral Amides. Lung Cancer,Brain cancer,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors,Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Meniere's disease , Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer. Alzheimer's disease,Autism,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria Adrenocortical carcinoma. Alma, Uterine Cancer, Breast Cancer, Allergic diseases. Kidney cancer, Love Spell, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Generalized dermatitis,Alzheimer's disease,Brain Tumor,Lupus,Endomertil Cancer, cerebrovascular diseases  
    Dementia.Colo rectal cancer, Lottery Spell, Bladder Cancer, Skin Cancer,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic Cancer, HIV /Aids,Brain Tumor, Herpes, Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Inflammatory bowel disease, Copd, Diabetes, Hepatitis  

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am Richard, I am here to testify about a great herbalist  man who cured my wife of breast cancer. His name is Dr Imoloa. My wife went through this pain for 3 years, i almost spent all i had, until i saw some testimonies online on how Dr. Imoloa cure them from their diseases, immediately i contacted him through. then he told me the necessary things to do before he will send  the herbal medicine. Wish he did through DHL courier service, And he instructed us on how to apply or drink the medicine for good two weeks. and to greatest surprise before the upper third week my wife was relief from all the pains, Believe me, that was how my wife was cured from breast cancer by this great man. He also have powerful herbal medicine to cure diseases like: Alzheimer's disease, parkinson's disease, vaginal cancer, epilepsy Anxiety Disorders, Autoimmune Disease, Back Pain, Back Sprain, Bipolar Disorder, Brain Tumor, Malignant, Bruxism, Bulimia, Cervical Disc Disease, Cardiovascular Disease, Neoplasms , chronic respiratory disease, mental and behavioral disorder, Cystic Fibrosis, Hypertension, Diabetes, Asthma, Autoimmune inflammatory media arthritis ed. chronic kidney disease, inflammatory joint disease, impotence, alcohol spectrum feta, dysthymic disorder, eczema, tuberculosis, chronic fatigue syndrome, constipation, inflammatory bowel disease, lupus disease, mouth ulcer, mouth cancer, body pain, fever, hepatitis ABC, syphilis, diarrhea, HIV / AIDS, Huntington's disease, back acne, chronic kidney failure, addison's disease, chronic pain, Crohn's pain, cystic fibrosis, fibromyalgia, inflammatory Bowel disease, fungal nail disease, Lyme disease, Celia disease, Lymphoma, Major depression, Malignant melanoma, Mania, Melorheostosis, Meniere's disease, Mucopolysaccharidosis, Multiple sclerosis, Muscular dystrophy, Rheumatoid arthritis. You can reach him Email Via drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com / whatsapp +2347081986098    Website/ www.drimolaherbalmademedicine.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I GOT CURED FROM HERPES VIRUS I was diagnosed of HERPES virus and i have tried all I can to get cured but all to no avail,,until I saw a post in a health forum about a herbalist man who prepare herbal medications to cure all kind of diseases including #HERPES virus,at first I doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try,when I contacted this herbalist via his email and he prepared a #HERPES herbal cure and sent it to me via DHL delivery company service, when I received this herbal medicine, he gave me step by direction on how to apply it,after applying the way I was instructed,I was totally cured of this deadly disease called HERPES, all thanks to Dr OGODO Email this great herbal doctor via his email Ogodoherbalhomesolution@gmail.com
    You can also WhatsApp him on +2349044680467
    HE CAN ALSO CURE SICKNESS LIKE
    {1}HIV/AIDS
    {2}DIABETES
    {3}EPILEPSY
    {4} BLOOD CANCER
    {5} HPV
    {6} ALS
    {7} HEPATITIS
    {8}LOVE SPELL
    {9} SICKLE AND ANEMIA
    Only DR OGODO Can Help You I Love You Father.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was in severe ribs and stomach pain at about this time last year. And I went to the hospital for treatment and was diagnosed for CHRONIC HEPATITIS B I was told it has no cure and i was so devastated because all hope seems to be lost, some drugs was given me to slowdown the viral load, and it got worse after sometime. I came across Dr. Iyabiye’s recommendation online while studying about the disease, and then I reach out to him just to try but I was taken by surprise. I got completely cured, all the pains were gone and I went back to the hospital for another test and I was tested negative to the disease. Here is the doctor’s contact if interested: iyabiyehealinghome@gmail.com (+234-815-857-7300)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dr Itua cures my HIV, I have been an ARV Consumption for 10 years. I have been in pain until I came across Dr Itua on a blog site. I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location I explained everything to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cure me, he gave me guarantee, He asks me to pay for items fees so when I'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua. I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days. Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work. My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and the rest of my friends did too, Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what I'm talking about if you have the same problem I was having then not now though. I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center. I have his calendar too that he recently sent me, He Cures all kind disease Like, Cancer,Weak Erection, Wart Remover,Hpv, Herpes,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Cushing’s disease, Heart failure, Multiple Sclerosis, Hypertension,Fibromyalgia,Hiv, Hepatitis B, Liver/Kidney Inflammatory, Epilepsy,Blood Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Colo-Rectal Cancer, Brain Cancer, Lung Cancer, Infertility,Parkinson's disease, Lung Cancer, Breast Cancer, Colo-Rectal Cancer, Blood Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Epilepsy disease, small-round-cell tumor Diabetes,Celiac disease, Ataxia, Arthritis, measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio, Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma, Asthma, Allergic diseases.Hiv/Aids,Herpe ,Copd, Glaucoma, Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease, Enlarged prostate, Alzheimer disease,Dementia,Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back. Here his Contact. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete