Tuesday, April 2, 2013

DOT- 0 Another perspective on transplants

Good Morning People,

Day Of Transplant.  


Today, Laurie will have another stem cell harvesting session, whilst I get transfused with the cells she donated yesterday. We have both been sleeping a lot.  She is pretty exhausted from the neupogen shots that stimulated the cell production in her long bone marrow, and the chemo is knocking me out.

The results will not be instant.  I am marking the 100 days from here.

In spite of Laurie being a 10 out of 10 match, there are myriad openings for Graft Verses Host Disease to present, in a variety of ways. I will be learning a lot of bio- chemistry I think, as I learn how the medicos monitor levels and adjust doses.  So far they have been right on, and I have nothing but confidence in everyone who has attended me.

Providentially, we are all still out-patients. No overnight stays - just long all-day stays. But we are toast, including Anne who is still recovering from the intense stomach flu of two weeks ago.

So, fortunately, " I have previously prepared"  a short post today, to help put this whole transplant thing in  perspective. Real account to follow.


" Now for something completely different"

Ever wonder about how it works when you check the box to be an organ donor on your driver's license?


Jump on in and let the Monty Python Group come for your liver.




Liver transplant (Monty Python)


Snarky Comments Welcomed, yea, encouraged.

CapnChris

Geezer Preemie

A 62 yr old with the immune system of a newborn.

" I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger..."
                                                                                 - Rod Stewart
Ooh la la , Faces 1974.





9 comments:

  1. Hello Mr. Siegel,

    This is Sonna, the pharmacy student that was at the clinic in Morehead City. Best of luck with your transplant! I wish you the best and hope you recover quickly from it. I will keep reading your blog!

    Sincerely,
    Sonna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sonna! Why thank you. You are making a good carreer call If my tackle box full of meds is any clue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I guess a big " Happy Birthday" is in order? Knuckle bumps to you all...glad your sister can handle the neupogen better than SOME of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we're thinking of you and hoping for the absolute best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our thoughts and prayers are with you today and the days to come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hugh & Jan Blackwell02 April, 2013 10:23

    GOD speed, Chris, as we use to say at the Cape. Counted down with you and now we pray for a safe journey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're thinking of you both and praying for the very best. Love your positive attitude and know that it will help you get much better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What they said...if good attitude, spirit, luck and prayers can get you through this, well then, you'll get through this and probably with flying colors...love has long arms...hugging you all, from afar....Dizy

    ReplyDelete