Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Summer/Fall 2012 self imposed quarantine continues


Soundtrack

Quarantine

The website of the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service explains the origin of the word "quarantine" as follows: "The word quarantine comes from the Italian quaranti giorni, meaning '40 days'. When bubonic plague swept through Europe in the 14th century, the government of Venice required ships to anchor away from the city for 40 days before they could unload passengers or cargo. The authorities thought 40 days would be enough time for any disease to be identified and either treated or pass through its normal course. All ships under quarantine had to fly a yellow flag."




The Summer passed quickly into Fall, and although I was relieved to be off the chemo cycle, I was living, as I had been for a year, in a self imposed quarantine. No shaking hands with anyone, doing fist bumps and elbow rubs instead of  hugging.  Wearing a mask at times, conscious of hand washing, no eating foods that I had not prepared myself,  and the worst part, no swimming.

 Sea water it turns out is not the best antiseptic bath.  Interesting article here from the the Scuba Doc.  So we could go out to Cape Lookout for overnight trips,  and walk the dunes, but I could not play in the surf, just go wading. But hey, I am not bitching, wading at the Cape is a real blessing.
















 Monday mornings would find me at  the Raab Clinic for a  CBC w/man dif , a shot of neupogen to stimulate my whites,  a shot of the miracle Lance Armstrong doping scandal Aranesp to stimulate reds, and some banter with the nurses, staff, and some of the other regulars. If my "hemogoblins" were over 8, then no transfusion. If no raging infection, then light duty work only.

I was able to build a custom Cherry Vanity and Laundry Station for Dr. Mark Stevens, and finish a few other shop projects.

MUSIC

The Geezers had a few gigs at the Backstreet Pub in July and August.





No comments:

Post a Comment