Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The State of My Pate

A round or two of Chemotherapy usually results in some hair loss.

This can be the cause of angst and low self esteem in cancer patients, as covered in this monograph by Dr. Tanveer Baig of the Royal Marsden Hospital in London.
It is also enough of a problem in children, that Mattel is going to make a Bald Barbie, with wigs, hats and
scarves.



      I had prepared for hair loss, as I posted back here.  I have now lost all my body hair, save my eyebrows and lashes. I am getting used to it. Regardless of the ambient temperature, it always seems a little chilly, and I usually wear a  Buff Do-Rag, with UV protection  On the plus side, no worries about  having a "Bad Hair" day. 

I have been loggin' my noggin, got a clean bean.




Shaving your head takes the guesswork out of going  bald

So head on over the jump for a look at some famous baldies, 

and a snapshot or two of the current state of my pate. 






A  choice of Soundtracks!

Crazy Baldheads
Not entirely appropriate, 'cause Bob be talkin' bout de skinheads.


Bald headed Lena , Lovin' Spoonfull
1967 on the KamaSutra Label

A few notable baldies from the 'toons.


Elmer Fudd

Rich Uncle Pennybags


Porky Pig
 
Charlie Brown






 Having had a beard and  longish hair since 1969, it is a bit of a shock to be bald.
Several times, I almost cut my hair, but I didn't , and I wonder why   (bonus soundtrack )

I feel like Sampson must have felt, shorn of my strength.

Samson-and-Delilah-movie-poster-1959



OK, Lets Get Phrenetic !

Another upside of being bald is it makes it easier to engage in the pseudoscience of  Phrenology..
Well, I consider it a pseudoscience. These folks  maintain that it is a valid science in that  "the form of the head or cranium represents the form of the brain, and thus reflects the relative development of the brain organs. "   






Graphic by Donna Nyzio

















View and Spew Warning: Do not proceed with a mouth full of Coffee!


Depending on the way my meds are affecting me, the phase of the moon, and the outside temperature I fluctuate between feeling I look like....Jackie Coogan as

Uncle Fester







or
Mr. Clean



Or maybe Shel Silverstein



More to come...Picard, Poirot, maybe Gollum?





14 comments:

  1. Cute...I like you best as Uncle Fester! You got to keep your eyebrows and lashes huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you've kept your clever hairs! Big love, Evie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you look more like a pirate than Mr. Clean. Success!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You mean all my alter-egos?

    C

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll do it for you Steve.
    Thanks for the flattery.

    On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 7:27 AM, Steven Harth wrote:
    I cannot for some reason figure out how to make comments on the blog…sorry, still have some dinosaur tendencies….but the photos this morning were the absolute best ever….you are beautiful….and such an inspiration…I sure think about you most all day…..

    sh

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure YUL listen to YUSEF with new appreciation...xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant Anita!

      We were going to do Yul Brenner as the King of Siam, but the Halloween Dress-up Box is back in the attic in Beaufort.

      C

      Delete
  7. To all of you followers,

    We are getting enough suggestions to do a follow-up post with other baldy pix.

    Send me your pix/suggestions, or post the names here in the box.

    C

    C

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gail requests Bruce Willis. How? I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you hear of the two bald men, put their heads together. Made an Ass of themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Honestly, I have to go with Mr. Magoo. My wife says I drive like him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Forget Dr. Evil, go with Mini Me.

    ReplyDelete