Thursday, May 2, 2013

DOT + 29 Fatique

Day of Transplant + 29

A friend  and stem cell veteran told me before I went in for my transplant that I would not believe how tired I would get. She said that one day her goal was just to read the get well cards that had accumulated, and she would fall asleep just trying to read a card..

Well I can now relate.  The last two weeks have been marked by a fatigue and ennui. Falling asleep in the muddle of a sentence, slow to respond to questions, stuff like that.

Same as Mr.Natch, but without the beard.
These feelings of weariness have been echoed by my son Josh's wife Ramona who is simultaneously undergoing treatment for cancer of the lady parts in Berlin. Her most excellent blog is here. Her post of
April 29th is reprinted below the jump, along with a soundtrack of the same name.




Soundtrack Beatles

From Nobody's Cancer

"So Tired 
They say exhaustion and fatigue are the most common "side" effects of both chemo and radiation,

 and Joshua and I planned to be prepared for that. I never knew what tired was until this. My dad 

brought a deck of cards to the hospital thinking maybe we'd play and just looking at them gave me 

the feeling of being overwhelmed by too much to think about. It's a brain tired where there's no 

room for anything; I haven't been able to do much reading, movie watching, knitting, or anything 

else that typically works as a leisure activity because just thinking about it makes me tired. Lying in 

bed, listening to nothing, doing nothing, and thinking about nothing is perfectly satisfying...


I'm coming back. I still feel pooped when I think about thinking, but it's going to get better from 

here on out."


Ramona

--------------------------


 I have been about the same- unable to read much because my tear ducts are being rebuilt, Palms and soles of feet are to sensitive to play even my Nylon Baritone Uke, or walk any distance. I have been putting in a mile or so a day  at the clinic on one of these rigs, but it is not the same as walking.  



So I too have spent many hours in a semi-somnolent state fading in and out of sleep, while a 

major rebuild project is going on within me. Work on my mouth and alimentary 

canal and G I tract seems to be progressing. New skin is pushing old off by means of rashes.

The doses of my many meds are decreasing.  Day 30 is tomorrow  the 1/3 mark.  We must find

some way to celebrate - pity I can't taste or smell anything yet.

It's going to get better from here on out.

C

10 comments:

  1. Damn time flies when you are having fun!....seems like yesterday you were in my shop. There will be so many people at Back Street for Chris and Annie Day, that you will be able to feel the taste of Mexican! Happy Day 30!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1/3! I sure miss you guys. I know the tired you speak of. I also know Lazy. I'm so lazy, I'd marry a pregnant woman! But seriously folks, this next act is drek from New York. I've made some progress on Patience. Best to Annie, Robbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. hang in there old buddy, I'm pullin for ya!

    Conger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Man,

      I still have a trip to Maine on the BMW on my Bucket List.

      C

      Delete
  4. Man, that is tired beyond tired. so tired can't even think of tired. Chris and Annie day will boost you guys up, gently. we miss you so much. your post gives new meaning to one day, one hour, one beautiful breath at a time. With the massive rebuilding project going on inside, all you have to do is "just breathe." love, susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wake up and eagerly check to see if another "Marrow Chronicle" has entered my inbox. Please know that we all will be celebrating your wonderful selves at The Backstreet on Sunday starting at 2pm! So glad to read from you that "It's going to get better from here on out". Looking forward to playing some tunes with you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugh Blackwell03 May, 2013 12:09

      Capn Chris, kind of know about the waiting, s ome about being tired....not like you though. Suspeced Lyme disease (remember your comments and situation 3 yrs ago)or???...results on Lyme are "negative", but making some headway now with the proper medical help to ID the cause. SOOOO, knowing you are in good hands there at Duke (the good Lord's too), only can hope the "rebuilding" process leaves you with your great musical talents...don't know how it can be better. I and others really miss hearing those great vocals with you accompanying yourself on guitar. You truly have a gift us musicians can envy. Cheers and comfort to you as you progress beyond 30 days. Good to hear from you.

      Hugh

      Delete
    2. Hugh Blackwell03 May, 2013 15:34

      Chris, lest others misunderstand my previous comments:

      I was NOT intending to describe my maladies, as you certainly know the subject is you at day 30 with a marrow transpant at Duke...you didn't need to hear about other problems (think mine are small). You need and deserve rest and encouragement.

      I was trying to comparatively say that with me it's taken over 10 mos to eliminate Lyme Disease...you went through this I believe for a tough 2-3 years, and as you stated: "I wish I had known" with chemo after chemo and now the giant leap with your sister's help of a transplant at Duke. Kudos for you. I just got to that place sooner and I understand some of the happenings with you, Chris.

      I am truly sorry if anyone misunderstands...I have always had an awkward way of saying things. I still hope to play beautiful music with you, Susan, Brian, Doug, and the gang in Beaufort some day, as in our fun days. Ahhh...remember the Tall Ships gig? Nice green, softshell crab sandwiches w. beer.

      Your glass is 30 % full now, Capn..keep going.

      Again, your friend, Hugh

      Delete
  6. Thinking of you and praying for a speedy recovery.
    Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are all pulling for you at the canvas shop.....well wishes, fair winds and following seas Capt. Chris.
    If we can help out on our side of the river please let us know.....
    Brake Marine Canvas.

    ReplyDelete